Can I Pick Someone to Manage My Disability Benefits in Advance?

What Are Disabled Surviving Divorced Spouse Benefits?
Can I Receive Benefits if a Disabled Ex-Spouse Dies?
November 29, 2021
How to Increase Your Chances of Receiving Disability Benefits
How to Increase Your Chances of Receiving Disability Benefits
December 13, 2021
Show all

Can I Pick Someone to Manage My Disability Benefits in Advance?

Can I Pick Someone to Manage My Disability Benefits in Advance?

If your disability is becoming worse or is expected to become worse with time, you might have concerns about managing your benefits. The Social Security Administration (SSA) lets people with disabilities appoint representative payees to handle the technical processes of receiving disability benefits. Since this mainly happens when people are too disabled to handle these processes on their own, many wonder if they can appoint a representative payee in advance. Feel free to ask a Philadelphia disability attorney for answers.

Can I Choose My Disability Benefits Representative in Advance?

In recent years, the SSA has allowed people to appoint disability benefits representative payees in advance. This is called disability benefits advance designation and can be used for Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) and Supplemental Security Income (SSI).

By using advance designation, you will have someone who can take over when your disability prevents you from making decisions. You have the option to choose one Can I Pick Someone to Manage My Disability Benefits in Advance?representative payee or several. While you can choose your representative payees, the SSA will evaluate them before fully appointing them to you. This is done to ensure your payee is competent enough and able to manage your benefits.

You have the option to request an advance designation during or after your disability benefits application. If you have already been receiving benefits but expect your disability to worsen, you can also request advance designation at this time. All you have to do is submit your request online or by phone.

Consider contacting a Philadelphia disability lawyer if you have any questions about this process. A disability lawyer can help you run through the disability benefits application process and answer any questions you may have. When your claim is denied, your lawyer can file an appeal.

What Does a Representative Payee Do?

You might be wondering what your disability benefits representative payee will be doing for you. A representative payee is someone who manages your disability benefits in the following ways:

  • Make sure you receive the monthly benefits you were promised
  • Spend the monthly benefits on things you need
  • Save unused monthly benefits for your future needs

A representative payee is not only responsible for using your benefits for your needs, but also for reporting changes. If your disability worsens or improves, your representative payee must report this to the SSA. Your representative payee must also keep records of all spending of the benefits. The SSA will request a written report about this when needed.

If you had any concerns about your representative payee taking advantage of you financially, knowing that the SSA checks how your benefits are spent may help. The SSA will even request money to be returned that was spent on your needs.

Disability Attorney in Philadelphia

Being denied or losing your disability benefits can be frustrating. Talk to a Philadelphia group disability insurance lawyer about what your legal options are. You can call Edelstein Martin & Nelson today at (800) – 300 – 0909 for a consultation about your disability claim. Our team of Philadelphia disability attorneys can help you obtain the disability benefits you need.